Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Learning about prejudice

Before:
What do I already know about prejudice?
Prejudice is the act of judging someone without actually knowing them personally, such as believing in rumours about a party/group of people. As we know, in the 1800s, there used to be an extremely strong prejudice against blacks in America. The white people in America treated them as if they were the lower class, and also assumed them to be dangerous.
Also, we know that prejudice is wrong, and we should not be prejudiced against other people.

What do I want to learn about prejudice?
I would like to be able to detect cases of prejudice, which we know, comes in different forms. We can then be able to differentiate between what is the truth, and what is really just an opinion. Also,

I want to gain more in-depth knowledge about prejudice as my current knowledge of prejudice is quite basic. Also, I want to learn more historical examples of prejudice as I believe that would aid in my learning about prejudice.

After:
What did I learn about prejudice?
This lesson, we were grouped. We were tasked to produce a mindmap about prejudice. Also, we were asked to make a comic strip using toondoo. It was a very interesting means of teaching us about prejudice.

I learnt that to be prejudiced against someone is to "pre-judge" the person, without understanding who or how the person really is. Prejudice, is in fact, the untrue stereotyping of a certain group of people, to assume the whole group of people to be who they are not.
Prejudice is not something to be taken lightly. If it is not resolved properly, it can lead to serious problems, such as even genocides. All governments in the world acknowledge this fact. There are many examples we see from this, such as the holocaust as well as the Rwanda genocide.


No comments:

Post a Comment