Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Foreign woman who insults Singaporeans







































In a reply to MP Penny Low's apology for her actions, a foreign woman posted an extremely rude comment criticizing Singaporeans. She stated that we were moronic, incompetent, etc. Many Singaporeans are unhappy with this, and authorities are now looking into the matter.

Of course, this remark posted by the foreigner definitely went across the line. I feel insulted myself. However, in her comments she wrote about a few aspects that made me think, and I would like to talk about them.

Two main aspects:

  1. She claims we are "incompetent" , because foreigners can come to Singapore and steal our jobs at anytime.
  2. She said we have a lack of patriotism and loyalty. We don't want to serve NS. (She said it sarcastically.)
I shall now state my thoughts.


Singapore is filled with over 40% of foreigners. These foreigners are just as capable as we are, and the government makes Singapore attractive to these foreigners by allowing them almost as much benefits as us Singaporeans. The main reason why the Singapore government wants to do so is because these foreigners accept much less pay compared to us Singaporeans ourselves. As such, with the reduction in pay required, there will be more economic progress.

Now, suppose we take two workers. One is a local Singaporean. One is a foreigner, say perhaps, from India. Both have similar qualifications and similar capabilities. Who do you think is the preferred choice?
I say to you: it is the foreigner. The foreigner demands less pay compared to a Singaporean.

Does it make us incompetent? I think not. This foreigner, Rachelle Ann Beguia, please do think about this.

The next point. We have a lack of patriotism and loyalty to Singapore. Let me now state my opinion for this reason.

How can a person have a sense of loyalty and patriotism to Singapore? The most important thing is to feel at home in Singapore. If Singaporeans truly feel at home in Singapore, they will be loyal and patriotic.
However, how do we feel at home with over 40% of Singapore's population being foreigners? How do so many of Singaporeans feel at home, when they cannot get HDB flats, a house for themselves in Singapore, just because foreigners get them first? How to feel at home in Singapore when I cannot even find a place to live myself?

These two reasons she gave, was to support the claim that Singaporeans were not as good, or competent as foreign workers. However, primarily I feel this backfired - I hope my elaboration shows how these problems, in the end, are caused by foreigners.

Every country has foreigners. Foreigners are beneficial to all societies. However, in exceeding numbers, foreigners can actually have a negative impact on a country. 40% is definitely too much.

I urge the Singaporean government to reduce the number of foreigners in Singapore. Only then can we instill national pride, get jobs, and maybe also prevent another "Rachelle Ann Beguia" from coming to insult Singaporeans again.

No comments:

Post a Comment